Saturday, July 19, 2008

my first rescue!

I finally got my shit together to ride today. Probably mostly the fact that my trainer M was going down to the ring to give Tammy a lesson. The best part was riding in M's saddle. It's a custom-made DK made for her little Dutch stud, and it is AMAZING! as in, makes everything better because I can just sit deep and go, that's nice Lily, but you need to slow down because my back is telling you to, and you can't pull me out of this seat!

I should have lunged her because she's had two days off and I usually lunge before ever ride (to let her loosen her back); but since M was working with Tammy I couldn't. So, she was hot and a bit stupid at the walk, but I got one of the best right lead canters I've had in a long time. I know this sound weird, but because the saddle is for a upper level, very collected horse, I could just sit and tell Lily to get over it and come back to me. Apparently it was so good that M even told me so (and she's kind of like Big K from the mugwump chronicles in her compliments, they don't happen).

Lily's getting a little better, but boy can she be beast about her left side. It's all my fault from pulling the past 3 years on my left rein, but jeez, it was a lot easier to create the problem then it is to fix it! Today I really focused on sitting sit, and really "having a back" as M puts it. It made a world of difference. When I focus I can really hold Lily with my back, and keep her relaxed and slow, and be very light in my reins, which Lily loves. But, if I'm not trying 110% to do this, Lily completely blows me off and takes off at whatever speed she feels is appropriate, usually Mach 10. Once I'm off her mouth (it's not that I'm always pulling, it's that I'm constantly asking her to come back, take then give, take then give, about 5 million times every stride), she completely loosens in her neck. Now we just need to work on her accepting my leg better. She was a bit jumpy about it today, but I can't blame her as she's had two days off and I didn't lunge her.


the rescue
While tacking up Tammy and I found...a barn mouse! and not just any mouse, a tiny itty-bitty baby one!! We used a crop to pick it up at first, but soon realized how nice he was and soon he was in my hands. We went to go ask M for a box of some kind, and got this exact reaction, "I don't want to see, don't show it to me! awww, it's soo cute!" typical :) . So we got a box, some wonderful 2nd cut hay and made "him" (not like we have any clue if its a boy or girl) a temporary home. I then proceeded to spend $50 at the pet store getting the newly named "Merlin" a mouse cage, food, and treats. It was a good reminder that no animal is free!

however, I also signify this event as my first rescue, yay!!

No comments: